[Zope] Webdav hangs

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.LeidenUniv.nl
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:38:29 +0200

With all traffic on the list about hanging ZServers, I thought my
experiences with WebDAV and Internet Explorer (on Win95, Zope2.0b5) would
perhaps be of some interest. I suspect much of this will be due to deficient
implementations by Microsoft, but as is, it's the only available client for
WebDAV. All this is highly Windows specific, I think, perhaps even Win95 -
never tried it on NT.

Experimenting with Webfolders, uploading to a Webfolder went usually went
fine, albeit sometimes slow (sometimes not). Sometimes, however, not all
files are uploaded to Zope; there is no apparent pattern. This also happens
with ftp, by the way.
After an upload, however, Explorer (often) locks up, eventually crashing
Win95 completely (the good news is that contrary to previous experiences
ZODB is not corrupted by a hard shutdown).
ZServer keeps on working; _if_ I succeeded in closing down the locked-up
explorer, it also did new WebDAV requests.

Microsoft also has a synchronization product for webfolders (and regular
websites), that keeps a remote site and a local copy in line. This always
gives some errors on webfolders - it is not clear where and why (not very
helpful is it - I do not quite know what this bot does and I don't feel like
getting into it).

just my $0.02

Rik Hoekstra