[Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #375 - 25 msgs

Jamieson Becker jamiebecker@symetix.com
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:54:09 -0400

> From: Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@csun.edu>
> Subject: [Zope] Serving Zope on port 80
>
> I have two machines.  On one of them I can use apache on port 80 and
> ZServer on port 8080 or I can reverse the ports.  On the other, I can
> only use ZServer on 8080, but not on port 80.  When I start Zope, I get
>
> File "/usr/local/Zope2.0b4/ZServer/medusa/asyncore.py, line 205, in bind
> 	return self.socket.bind (addr)
> socket.error: (13, 'Permission denied')
>
> On both machines I am running both Zope and Apache as "admin."  I
> believe the permissions are set the same on both machines, but obviously
> I am wrong.  Can someone give me some pointers on where to look?
>
> Al

Permission might be denied because another app is running on that port. Run
netstat -a |grep 80 before starting Zope and see.

I had a problem with SuSE that took me a while to track down that might be the
answer to your problem. After making certain changes in yast, it would launch
suseconfig which would change my port assignment for Apache from 8080 back to
the original 80. (I had wanted to run Apache on 8080 and medusa on 80.)

WARNING! I'm only in my first six months with un!x so I might have absolutely
no clue. use this info at your own risk.