[Zope] Which database?

Heiko Stoermer heiko@mig.net
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:57:51 +0200

here are my thoughts... (you wanted them  :)    )
I've been working with MySQL for the last 2 years now, and I pretty much
liked it for the ease of use. (good PERL module, loads of tools).
For our current project however, we switched to postgresql because we
simply wanted to try it out. And I must say that I found postgresql no
harder to use, especially the database grants are even easier to
handle. It has many more functions (e.g. transactions), but I think if
you are experienced in MySQL you will be able to work with postgresql
within two days or so.
Concerning Oracle, Informix etc.: I have no experiences with these,
because for me they seem too bloated for web use. There was never even
one reason to use a database that costs you $ 200,000 for unlimited web
use  ;) so I didn't even get in touch with them.
There might be an alternative DB called "Adabas D" by the german
Software AG, which seems to be right in the middle between freeware
postgres and expensive Oracle concerning price and features. However,
I'm not informed about DA status for Zope interaction. But you might
want to check that out.

Hope this helps,
Heiko