[Zope] New zope powered sites

technews@egsx.com technews@egsx.com
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:32:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi Guys,

I am new to zope.  I started about three weeks ago, and already got a
couple of sites running Zope.  I am not going to say it was easy.  I was
very frustrated but I am still going through my learning curve, and I
should be able to revisit my work and improve on them in the future.

The first site is at http://ads.ayna.com.  The site is very simple nothing
major but it was built in about 8-10 hours.

The other site is http://www.aley.net/  This site is much more complex.
It is a a community portal with integrated internet directory, business
listing, News (using Squidot), Horoscopes, Calendar of Events (Calendar),
Movies listings, Airline information, etc.  We also used external Python
methods to suck in content from our affiliate sites.  It was soft lauched
a couple of days ago, and so far the site has been stable.  We are a
little worried about the load, since our main Internet diretory serves
over 4Million pages per month, and some of the visitors will go to this
new site.  We used Rewrite rules in Apache to exclude certain directories
from being served by Zope and everything works like a charm.  The only
catch is that the site is in Arabic, but hey it will help us with the
Internationalization part as we find bugs, etc..  So far the major problem
has been the use of ZCatalog with Arabic.  At this moment we do not have
time to figure out what is the problem, so we will use our search engine
to index and search the site. It will not be as beatiful as we would have
wanted, but se la vie.

If you have any comments, please feel free to email me.

Best regards,
Adonis El Fakih