[Zope] Philosophical question - Zope Objects vs Entities in a RDBMS

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 20:08:24 -0700

Teodor Cimpoesu wrote:

> > Q4. I think I remember seeing a post about the Zope database being a
> > single large file posing problems with the Linux filesystem.. or was
> > that the windows filesystem.. if so then that could limit Zope's
> > potential in a commercial production enviroment, surely ?? If this is
> > true what have people done to try and get around this, ie archiving
> > objects (however that could occur) etc.. ?
>
> IIRC that is a limit for the ext2 file system. There may be other Linux
> FSs
> that don't have this limit. Also I've heard ext3 is about to come wich I
> guess/hope won't have this limit anymore.

ext3's big deal right now is journalling support.
ext2fs is _not_ the cause of the 2GB limit, as stated elsewhere, it is
the 32bit VFS that is the issue, and there is the LFS patch to fix that.

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.