[Zope] Zope stability

Alexander Limi alexander@mp3.no
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:23:47 +0100

> > Also, on a side note, is there a way to do offline development of Zope, and
> > commit those changes to the main site at a later date? I know this raises
> > important concurrency concerns, but has it ever been considered as a part
> > of Zope's feature set? A CVS of sorts, where you check out and in files?
>
> Well, you can run a developoment server with an identical environmen. To
> update the live site, you export the relevant parts, and import them
> into the production server.

This simply won't work, as we have users from everywhere that want to do
changes 24/7. So the main site can't be updated from a production site, because
users change the main site all the time.

So unless one can update selected parts in a satisfactory way (by exporting
only the relevant changes) this is no option. And I can imagine it would get
messy, as one had to manually keep track of what changes are made to the test
server, export those bits, and then import them on the production server.

Would it be an idea to implement this in an easy-to-use way in Zope 2.2? To be
able to create a "diff-file" of sorts, that can be exported into the main site,
and exclude certain hierarchies, like the ones the users access?

While we're at it, my own wishlist for the next version:
- Better handling of inheritance in ZClasses, see my earlier post (ZClasses,
inheritance & stuff, on the zope@zope.org list)
- Zope should produce html/dtml in compliance with w3.org's recommendations: in
all lowercase
- Access to the built-in debug screens from the contol panel (in production
mode or not)
- An option to turn on "open in new window" as default when using the preview
mode (I know, mozilla and all, but as a stop-gap solution until mozilla is
stable enough to use :)

(small changes that would make me happy, except for the inheritance bit, which
may be more time-consuming to implement)

Alexander Limi
http://mp3.no

(CC'ed to zope-dev, please take care when replying :)