[Zope] Re: reality check - The REAL issue

Craig P Avnit craig@londonplaza.co.uk
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:33:26 +0000

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> [...]

Are you trying to tell me that Cold Fusion, ASP and Websphere are good because
they are easy to use.  The problem with developers on those platforms and most
windows developers, are that they code the most horrificaly bloated application
known to man.

Cold Fusion doesn't come close to Zope and Python in functionality and rapid
development.

> > >  I don't know what's going on at the code-level, and
> > > frankly, I don't want to have to know.  If Zope is to truly adopt a wide
> > > user base, it's got to be easy enough that the average user and install
> > > and deploy Zope.  Right now, it's just to complicated for me use.  I've
> > > got a business to run, I don't have time to mess around with the
> > > particulars.
> > >

> > That is why there are people out there like the fine folks at DC, who can
> > concentrate on supplying you with the functionality you need to allow you
> > concentrate on your business.
>
> I thought the whole idea behind open-source was that there is
> a critical mass of users that has to be reached for the flow on
> benefits. Those benefits won't arise if the open-source application
> isn't competitive, it won't be competitive if it isn't easy to use and
> it certainly won't get a critical mass if there is an understanding
> that 'best' practice, performance and use are not the watch words.

I agree, but the point a click mentality doesn't help either.  You don't use
linux because you are in a desktop environment, if windows is so good show me
an ISP that trusts there operations to it, I don't. Unix and linux strengths
lie in the server arena at the moment.  I run a linux box at home, full printer
access and all the Destop applications I need. I don't have 5 % of the problems
the average window user has.

> One reason I haven't move to linux is that it is still not as easy to
> use as windows, I just don't want to learn the geekisms. Now to
> add positively to this to debate, what Zope really needs is a glossary
> of terms, then a one page overview of all components that has
> been 'tested' against a panel of average windows users (the
> industrial standard), if they can understand it anyone that
> matters can. ;-).

Windows are the industry standard for home PC's and desktop, not mission
critical high end apps, and distributed computing. Unix is the standard here.

I agree that zope does need to be easier to use, and the docs can be improved,
but I cannot agree with wanting to aspire to windows mediocrity, or heaven
forbid that windows users are the only ones who matter.  Most organisations run
in spite of windows not because of it.