[Zope] using CVS for Zope object stores?

Guido A.J. Stevens gyst@nfg.nl
14 Dec 1999 13:11:20 +0100

Simon Michael <simonm@joyful.com> writes:

> My vague plan #1 was to look for a python cvs module, eg whatever
> ViewCVS uses, and build a zope product that maps a cvs repository into
> the object namespace, as localfs does with files.
>
> Or, vague ambitious plan #2: build a real cvs server that stores its
> data in ZODB.

Both of these approaches try to use zope to manipulate cvs data
structures. I was actually thinking the other way round: of trying to
use cvs to manipulatie zope data structures. It would be nice if it
were feasible to expose the ZODB as a filesystem.

The public interface is fine for my clients' clients: the public.
The management interface is fine for my clients.
A filesystem interface would be great for myself: the developer.

ZODB-as-filesystem exposure would open up a whole range of backend
manipulation possibilities, not only for cvs but also for (scripted)
editing, fast rsync mirroring etc. I guess this would also open up a
Pandora's box of possible object tree integrity violations, security
holes and the like.... but that's not inherently different from
manually editing an xml export file. Is it? .... not that I'm about to
manually edit xml export files :-(

:*CU#
--
***    Guido A.J. Stevens      ***    mailto:gyst@nfg.nl    ***
***    Net Facilities Group    ***    tel:+31.43.3618933    ***

ECHELON is a staggeringly comprehensive and highly secret global
spying system, over which the smaller allies have virtually no control
but to which they contribute fully.  [ISBN 0-908802-35-8, p.56]