[Zope] uses, roles and groups

Oliver Frommel Oliver Frommel <oliver@aec.at>
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 18:40:44 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

while trying to implement a Zope product encountered the following problem:
I think I understand the concepts of both users and roles, roles being a set
of permissions. In this connection groups (as in Unix) are implemented just
by putting the Zope user folders in the right place. When I want to have
a more centralized user administration I'd need something like a group
attribute for it, so I could give certain roles (in principle I'd just need
an editor role) dependent on the user belonging to a certain group.
AFAIK none of the products USerDB, GUF oder etcUserFolder provides hooks for
this.
Where is a good place to start with an implementation and what implications
would it have with the Zope security model?

thanks for any hints
oliver