[Zope] pc - vs - mac

Harry mail-zope@fizbin.com
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:28:46 -0800

on 12/16/1999 4:31 PM, Kyle Burnett at kburnett@ep.newtimes.com wrote:

> so we want to serve up a differnet element depending on the user's platform.

Why double your workload? Creative and constructive design can yield a site
that will work well on either platform, without the need for separate
designs per platform.

Besides, Mac or PC are not the sole platforms, and IE and Netscape aren't
the only browsers.

You'd need to consider Mac, PC, and Unix (at the very least), as well as
Netscape/PC, MSIE/PC, Netscape/Mac, MSIE/Mac, iCab/Mac, Opera/Unix/Win,
Mnemonic/Unix, etc...

Bear in mind that MSIE/Mac and MSIE/Win work *VERY* differently in terms of
what they support, or what they can display (hence, stay away from that
idiotic PNG format, since MSIE/Mac doesn't support it.)

> has anyone tried this in zope? is a simple javascript the answer or is there
> a zope method to accomplish this?

What specifically do you want to achieve by doing this?

Generally, I would figure a JavaScript would be enough to do the
arbitration, and then it could send the browser to one of several sites,
each optimized for the specific browser. Since Zope generates the site
dynamically, it *could* be easier to support this, since the content could
conceivably remain the same, and the individual sites would just use browser
specific templates...

Sounds interesting, but it's still double the work - and for what? To
validate MS' drive to divide and 'extend' a standard?

Harry