[Zope] SQL Methods - tokens or list parameters

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 08:53:49 -0500

"Ross J. Reedstrom" wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
> <can't reproduce my problem>
>
> > > in add_person_form:
> > >
> > > <... rest of form/table deleted>
> >
> > Where is ':tokens'?
>
> In the parameters list to the SQL-Method. That seems to do it for the
> space containing case. I didn't persue this any farther, since the
> natural seperator for degrees is a comma, and I got the list case
> working. I think it's a case of my being a python newbie as well as a
> zope newbie (and a sql newbie, and an HTML newbie, and ... Hey, I know
> Tcl, does that count? ;-)
>
> Here's what I did for the list:
>
> add_person_form send string to add_person_action, which contains:
>
> <!--#call "add_per_degree(PerID=PerID,
> PerDegree=_.string.split(PerDegree,','),
> ConferringInstitution=ConferringInstitution, DegreeDate=DegreeDate)"-->
>
> and add_per_degree is:
>
> Aguments: PerID:int PerDegree:list ...
>
> <!--#in PerDegree -->
>
> This may seem an unnatural way to do things. I have that familiar itch
> that I'm not quite groking something here - It's the Zope Zen, probably.
> Need that flash of enlightenment. Ahh! Minor flash - the name:type
> syntax applies to form inputs as well, doesn't it?

Yes.

> I can make my
> original form like:

> name=PerDegree:list></td></tr>
>
> then remove the string.split from add_person_action or some such?

Yup.

The type information in the argument list is there soley
to aid input form generation wizards.  If you selected
"Z Search Interface" from the "Add" menu, the generated
input form would reflect the type information specified
in the argument list.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.