[Zope] Re: PDF needs ExternalFile Object with byte-range capability?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 16:17:53 -0500

Brad,

(sorry about not quoting Brad, we're still in the throws of mail
server hell)

We've kicked around the idea of an ExternalFile object, and I
started a small project that fizzed out.  My question was where to
draw the line, do we make it a simple pipe to one file, or a Folderoid
object that 'mounts' a part of a filesystem into Zope?  The first
would be pretty simple, the second would be pretty hard, IMO.

Out of curiosity, what would byte ranging buy you? Do some clients
request ranges?  I think I read about this in the HTTP 1.1 spec...

Michel

PS We used to use WorldSock on the ISP I worked at a few years ago,
I chuckled a bit when I saw you on our list, cuz I'm familiar with your
products like your getting familiar with ours. ;)