[Zope] A couple of technical Zope questions

Stefan Franke sfranke@cdc-group.com
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:09:14 +0100

Hello Zopenians .. Zopists .. Zopers..? I've got some questions
regarding Zope's guts:

- How do I access the Object root in Zope's database.
  Is "import Main; root = Main.bobo_application" ok?

- Parent objects are accessed via aq_parent? What is the
  ObjectManager.parentObject method for?

- Can an object be held by two different Folders simulanously
  (set via _setObject)? Will basic object support work with this?
  Cut, Copy, Paste?

- What is the best way to store additional persistent data (not to
  be accessed via web). A second PickleDictionary would be surely a
  way, are additional root keys in Bobobase ok?

- Where do I place general functionality that is executed on each
  Zope startup ?

- How does the "manage_" prefix magic work exactly?

- Can I suppress the automagical appending of the help tabs in the
  management interface?

Phew, that's all for now :-)

BTW: I just had a quick look at "A Technical Intrduction to Object
Publishing
with Zope" to see if there were any additions since the "ATItOPw Bobo"
version
of the document. Unfortunately I have to say that the whole thing became
little bit fuzzier WRT terminology due to the replacement of "Bobo" with
"Zope" -
now often "Zope" is mentioned where "the Zope Publisher" would be more
appropriate.

BTW2: A quick hack adding

  sys.path.insert(4, '<My Python Path>')
  sys.path.insert(5, '<My Python Path>/PythonWin')
  sys.path.insert(6, '<My Python Path>/win32')
  sys.path.insert(7, '<My Python Path>/win32com')
  sys.path.insert(8, '<My Python Path>/win32dbg')
  sys.path.insert(9, '<My Python Path>/win32/lib')

to serve.py lets me use the win32dbg package on Windows inside Zope via

  import win32dbg; win32dbg.set_trace()

Unfortunately the introspection into the Extension Classes with the
object
browser is very limited.

Stefan