[Zope] Using __repr__ and DocumentTemplates

Mike Pelletier mike@compar.com
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:19:30 -0500 (EST)

    I have an object I would like to be able to render with a DTLM tag like
this:

	<!--#var my_object-->

    I've done this before with __repr__, but this time I wanted to render the
object with a DTML file.  I have a line like so in my object's class:

	__repr__ = HTMLFile("template")

    Right now the template.dtml file only contains the line:

	<!--#var id-->

    If I view a page which attempts to render an instance of this class, it
raises a KeyError, indicating that it doesn't know what 'id' in the DTML
refers to.  If I change the line to:

	repr = HTMLFile("template")

    and view it explicitly from my browser, I get the results I am expecting.
What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Mike.

--
       ---              | Mike Pelletier             Work: 519-746-1607
        /opeware!       | Software Developer         Home: 519-725-7710