[Zope] Documentation & Examples

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:02:48 -0500

Theodore wrote:
> I hate manuals as do many others.
> I learn by example.
> Without good examples of ZOPE DTML, DEVELOPMENT IS DIFFICULT
> with this great
> product.

Tell you what -- you send me a list of scenarios that you'd like an
example of and I'll see if we can get something done.

Is something like Andy Smith's "DTML Example Folder" in the
contributions at:

  http://www.zope.org/Download/Contrib/

the kind of thing you are looking for?

> I KNOW - "RTFM" but there's barely any DTML in the
> 1. Z Document Template Markup Language User's Guide
> 2. Zope Manager's Guide
>
> HTML is easy to learn because of VIEW SOURCE.
> DTML is difficult because of a lack of examples.

True.

> There are very few examples in the documentation and well
> commented code is
> hard to come by anywhere on the ZOPE site, except for 6 great
> examples in
> the How-to section.
>
> IS there a DTML Code Library for Idiots out there!!!

There certainly should be.  We ought to ship Andy's contributions in the
default database that ships with Zope.

> Put together a simple library of code
> 1. Include clear comments
> 2. Document individual functions
> 3. Make it for idiots not code junkies
>
> Two things will happen.
>
> 1. ALLOT MORE USERS
> 2. ALLOT MORE SOURCE DTML
>
> Everybody Wins!!!!
>
> </FLAME>
>
> Don't get me wrong! Zope is a fantastic Product and is one of the best
> application servers on the market for any price. We use it
> all the time.

Ahh, perfect opportunity for a <COUNTERFLAME>.  We don't expect people
to pay us or require people to attribute us.  But we do actively solicit
testimonials, as newcomers to Zope first evaluate by looking at other
case studies and testimonials.

Unfortunately I don't see you listed at:

  http://www.zope.org/Community/Testimonials/

Any <FLAME> carries a lot more weight when it comes from someone that is
working with us a partner and helping to spread the good word about
Zope.

With that said, though, your comments are certainly correct.  We make it
too hard to uncover the beauty of Zope.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909