[Zope] Product Creation Comments

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:34:28 +0100

[my previous attempt to post this bounced]

Mike Pelletier wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Paul Everitt wrote:
>
> > We realize that we aren't making it friendly at all for people to write
> > products.  In fact, we are probably making it so hard that I should send
> > out medals to those that do it :^)
>
>     Actually, after I'd done a couple and understood the interconnectedness of
> all things, I found it really quick and easy.  The Zope framework _easilly_
> makes up for the added work over ZPublisher.

You have the advantage you know ZPublisher, I think. I just dove in
straight away. And you're right, inclusion of the product in the Zope
framework is very useful and nice.

> The only thing that bugs me is the tedium of setting up the creation and
> editing forms.  It seems to me that Zope aught to be able to generate them
> on the fly, perhaps with a few hints in the class.  Am I out to lunch on this?

I'd like some automatic generation of these too. However, I think
there's a limit on how much one can automate this. A product class might
have all kinds of subclasses which need to be set up in the
creation/edit form, for instance.

But some basic automation to get at least something going would be nice.

Regards,

Martijn