[Zope] (Fwd) Zope musings

Martijn Pieters mj@atmm.nl
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:41:56 +0100

At 15:58 18/02/99 , you wrote:
>On 18 Feb 99, at 7:20, Paul Everitt wrote:
>
>> > be to support the frontpage extensions through Zope? (I feel so dirty)
>> > Unfortunatly some of our clients use frontpage. Which at the moment
>> > keeps me from moving them into Zope.
>>
>> Last I looked into this, MS provides only binary extensions to integrate
>> with the web server.  It really isn't possible to integrate it into Zope
>> -- it specifically diddles files on the filesystem through a CGI script.
>

>I contacted MS about us adding fpage extensions to Novell's web
>server. Funny thing, they said "no help from us!".
>
>Actually, what they said was that a 3rd party owns all the rights to the
>extensions and that I would have to contact them about it. I didn't bother.
>
>Fpage extensions would be handy, except that:
>
>1. fpage still doesn't know dhtml
>2. you got to have windows as your client.

I know FP is Win only, but it's about clients that want to be able to easily
access their website to do content management. These clients are usually
secretaries on Windows machines, and FP is a nice MS Office like tool. I used
it with a lot of server side ASP and COM coding to allow clients do some pretty
slick WYSIWYG content management. Just don't try to give a client two different
passwords with each a different set of access rights.

The FP client has some nice additions (like the webbot tag), that make it
possible to add DTML code to a page, have FP render it, but not touch it,
allowing the user to edit everything that's not DTML. Then ,when the page is
uploaded again, the webbot tag is ignored by the server, but the code it hid
isn't...

Implementing FP server extension support could be done by analyzing the traffic
to and from a server with the extensions installed. Question is if anyone wants
to do all that work, and if we are allowed to (license problems).

--
M.J. Pieters, Web Developer