[Zope] Using Zope to generate static HTML

David Brown davidbro@home.com
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:07:32 -0800

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 02:06:02PM -0600, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> David (and the rest of you):
> Anybody tried building your pages on a local/personal Zope site, then
> pointing a web-sucker type app at it? I think the appropriate invocation
> of wget or lynx or some such would do an admirable job of taking a
> static snapshot of a reasonably simple site? As Paul said, you'd give up
> certain features, but that's understood. You're looking for the
> programmatic interface, whole site standardization, etc., not the
> context sensitive, dynamic content sort of features (that are a pain in
> the --- to implement on top of stateless HTTP, anyway), right?

Right.

I actually DID try to point wget at my Zope site, but it seemed to
randomly fail on certain pages.  No consistancy either.  Of course, I
was using ZopeHTTPServer, which might not deal well with the hard-core
banging that wget does.  Perhaps I should try it again with the Zap
version of Apache and see if it made a difference.

What I'd really like is a tab like the "View" tab -- say a "Render"
tab that starts at the current document and walks the tree, saving the
generated HTML to files in a named directory, rather than serving them
up.  Seems that ZopeHTTPServer might be the place to start looking,
stealing and/or modifying the code...

dave