[Zope] Apache and Zope

Philip Aylesworth phila@regalint.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:54:49 -0500

I am currently evaluating Zope for our company intranet (which is currently
running IIS on NT, Apache on Linux, Perl CGI on both, and MySQL on Linux. I
am pretty impressed with how easily things work in Zope (once you figure it
out). There is so much dynamic content on it that I think Zope will be
perfect.

I have a couple of questions that I haven't started to tackle yet.

Why would I use Apache with Zope when it has its own HTTP server and seems
to run okay (even right along side Apache)?

Can I check the existance of external files from within Zope? I have a data
base of CAD files. If they exist on a server I create a link to them, if
they don't I just list them.

Can I import data from a text file? I am currently using Perl to suck data
from a text file that changes every day and throw it into MySQL. Can I
continue to run this along side of Zope? Should work, right?

How can I transfer my Zope stuff (Object database is it?) to another
machine once I decide to impliment it on a real server? I guess I mean what
files do I need and is there anything that will cause me grief? (I read the
postings about the person who wants to copy one website to many servers. It
looks like a non-trivial problem.)

Thanks,

Phil.

Philip Aylesworth                  Information Systems Manager
phila@regalint.com
PGP public key: http://www.regalint.com/PGPkeys/phila.html