[Zope] ZPublisher/ZTemplate questions

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:10:40 -0500

James wrote:
> My first question has to do with using templates with
> ZPublisher:  Will I
> still get to use all the nifty "var", "expr" and flow control
> constructs
> in my dtml, or will I be limited because my stuff in not
> running within
> Zope?  Do I need to get the ZTemplate package to do this, or does
> ZPublisher have this stuff built in?

You can use ZPublisher and ZTemplate.  This is what Skip is doing at
MusiCal with good results.

> Second, where can I get documentation and examples on using
> ZPublisher and
> ZTemplate on their own?

Uhh, that's a different point :^)

  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/ObjectPublishingIntro
  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/Trinkets

> Third:  Will ZPublisher run with the embedded Python/Apache
> system, or do
> I need to use pcgi?

Can't comment on PyApache.  You can use PCGI or you can do as Skip and
Andreas do an use mod_proxy to connect Apache and ZPublisher.

> Fourth:  If I want to maintain state/session information
> inside my code,
> which of the above solutions will work better?  I know that Apache
> instances only last for N requests, does Python/Apache have a shared
> memory system to handle this.  (Sorry if this is off topic,
> but I figure
> someone here must have played with it)

That's why you don't want to use PyApache.  Have a separate ZPublisher
long-running process.

> Thanks for all the help, I'm really excited to get started
> with Python.
> ColdFusion is frustrating because it's so limited, and Java
> Servlets are
> frustrating because they are too much work.

Oh you're just sweet talking us :^)

--Paul