[Zope] Zope's Organization for Virtual Servers

Scott Robertson sroberts@codeit.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:19:50 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of working with my webhost on the best way to provide
> Zope Hosting in a virtual server environment.
>
> My webhost like many is using Linux and Apache.
>
> I had a thought and a question I wanted to pose.
>
> What would it take to setup Zope in somewhat a similar many to the way
> Python is setup for cgi?
>
> What I mean by that is if Zope was setup in a specified location
> /usr/bin/Zope or something such. Then in their own directory they have the
> products, external methods, /var directory, pcgiinfofiles, etc. All the
> items they create and generate which are not a part of the Zope distribution.
>
> This way, when the website is accessed, pcgi would instantiate a new Zope
> instance (if necessary) for this specific site and populate it with the
> site's files.
>
> This would allow for the webhost to have a single Zope install which could
> be forked/instantiated for each site as required.
>
> This would also allow for simplified upgrading of Zope for the webhost and
> users. The webhost could install a new Zope in it's own directory,
> usr/bin/Zope_1.10.2 and the user would just have to update their
> pcgiinfofile to access the new Zope install.
>
> Possibly less things to break when updating. Wouldn't have to
> move/copy/backup the /var directory etc. simply to upgrade.
>
> This seams to be simpler on the end user and on the webhost sysadmin.
>
> Of course I may have an over-simplified view of things. :)
> Just a thought.
>
> Jimmie Houchin
>

> Now it's time to get into my new book. Learning GNU Emacs. :)

We could anwser all of these questions for you for $1,000,000 dollars
right now. Or you can wait for the next release of zope where we added
these exact features, that is of course if DC hasen't lost our patch or
ripped it to shreds yet.

- Scott Robertson             Phone: 714.972.2299 -
- CodeIt Computing            Fax:   714.972.2399 -
-                http://codeit.com                -