[Zope] Basic questions

Noel Rappin noel@echobridge.com
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:48:19 -0500

I'm hoping that the members of this list can help me out... I went through
the archives and documentation, and couldn't quite answer these questions.

I'm just getting into python scripting, and am looking at Zope to integrate
that with web applications.  I downloaded Zope 1.9, and used the built in
ZopeHTTPServer (WinNT, by the way).

I read the Technical Introduction to Object Publishing, and it says that
objects within published modules can be referred to as URL's.  Very cool.
However, I don't think that it says how to publish modules to the server in
the first place -- the Zope manager will let me use External methods, but it
sounds like publishing a module is different.  Do I have to use the Product
API for this -- if so, than the Technical Introduction document is somewhat
misleading?  If not, than what is the advantage of using the product API?

Second, is there a way to refer to sub-objects if the exact name is not
known.  For example, let's say I'm trying to write a threaded discussion
forum.  Each message has a sub-object that is a list of reply posts.  Is
there a way that I can use a URL to call a method on a specific reply post
directly, or do I need some kind of proxy object to mediate the call?

I appreciate your time, thanks.

Noel

-------
Noel Rappin