[Zope] Preserving Settings during a user's session

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:58:57 -0500

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 07:49:50AM -0800, Paul Jackson wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> |> * ID is hex signature of IP address ...
>
> I hope you're not presuming that there is at most one
> user session, at any given time, per IP addr.  What
> if there are multiple users working from a given client
> system -- think Unix or Linux here.

Ah, I guess I glossed over the idea ... these IDs are generated once,
and I *AM* assuming that at any instantaneous point in time (i.e.
subsecond accuracy) there are not two of them from the same IP address
being generated :-)

Actually, Linux/UNIX is hardly an issue any more for web servers,
firewalls however, ARE :-)

So if you had two people coming from Firewall A (192.168.1.1), so long
as they got their IDs at lest a 10th of a second apart (or whatever
accuracy time.time() returns) they'd always be unique.

Make more sense now? :-)  BTW, I've got to get an SHA1 implementation in
the libraries, i Just don't like MD5.

Chris