[Zope] Preserving Settings during a user's session

Jeff Nielsen jeffniel@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:42:37 -0800

Wow! Thanks for all the replies to my query about preserving session
variables.

I rather like Christopher's idea about using a single SessionID variable.
Most of the data in my application is in a database (SQL Server) and I could
create a Session table with a sequential ID that would hold the values I
want.

I think I'll stick with the simple method, using the format
www.server.com/zope/page_name?SessionID=1234. I'm still rather a Zope novice
and my immediate priority is to get my web site up and running instead of
becoming a Zope master...

I'm using Zope with IIS and it does provide session tracking with a unique
ID, but it requires the use of short-term cookies. I could pass the session
ID from IIS to Zope (I think), but that violates my no-cookie goal.

Similar to what someone mentioned somewhere in the thread, my goal is to
keep the client side as simple as possible in order to minimize end-user
issues. I prefer to do all the complicated processing on the server, which
is completely under my control...

Again, thanks for all the response.

Jeff
jeffniel@ix.netcom.com