[Zope] [UNIX INSTALL] ZopeHTTPserver/Zserver questions

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:24:06 -0500

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 10:08:53AM -0500, Philip Aylesworth wrote:
> I am very confused. I understand that Zserver is a new and improved server
> but ZopeHTTPserver comes with the distribution (including 1.10.2). Also,
> threads are off by default (with ZopeHTTPserver).

This is the state of the Zunion :-)

> Should I be using Zserver or is it still beta? What is/will be better about it?

There's the rub, yes ZServer is better, more on that below, but it's
currently alpha quality for the Python world---which would be hmmm,
version 3.1 for Microsoft? :-)  Seriously, it has bugs, and it's
definately not guaranteed to change substantially before it's official
1.0 release.  This having been said, it's MUCH faster and much more
versatile than ZopeHTTPServer (ZHS), which is just a barebones
implementation.  It also implements initial FTP support ,as well as PCGI
support from other servers (neat implications here :-).

I use it some now, the Python Starship is using it for testing, but I
wouldn't deploy it production quite yet.

> Should I turn on threads with ZopeHTTPserver? I did, and it seems to work
> (Redhat Linux 5.2). Is that to allow multiple simultaneous requests?

Threading should be fine...

> I also killed my apache and switch ZopeHTTPserver to port 80 so that I
> could see it from home through a firewall that I can't open port 9673 on.
> Now I can work nights and weekends, too! :) I can't see any reason to keep
> apache. My site is internal, low traffic, 90% dynamic. From what I read in
> the performance posts I am better off with ZopeHTTPserver, correct?

Well, *IF* all you're using is Zope, then I don't understand why you'd
use Apache certainly... ZHS wouldn't be much slower (this is a
hand-wave), and some quick looks show ZServer ot be MUCH MUCH faster,
and some of the interfaces aren't even tweeked yet :-)

Chris