[Zope] - Zope + Python CE

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:00:04 -0600

I've been debating whether to mention this, because I
don't want to encourage premature expectations, but I've
got a modest Zope hello world example working with
Python CE.

- What's the point?

  Two purposes are served by allowing Zope to run on a
  CE device.

  First, apparently there *is* a market for embedded web
  server devices.  It sort of makes sense.  Why shouldn't
  you someday point your browser at your telephone/answering
  machine, network laser printer, VCR, etc. ?  For evidence
  of the potential market, check out:

    http://www.intrinsyc.com/products/rainbow/index.html

  Second, and of more immediate concern to me, is that
  Python CE programmers desperately need a way to write
  simple user applications.  Running a Zope application
  via Pocket Internet Explorer may be a reasonable
  short-term solution.  Even for P/PC users (where
  Pocket IE is unavailable) it should be possible to
  use something like ProxiWeb to access Zope.

- What's the problem?

  Everything appears to work okay with the a network card
  plugged in and the CE device connected to the network.
  ZopeHTTPServer serves its data to its local IP address.
  When the network card is removed, however, the socket
  stuff does not want to run on 127.0.0.1.  I've yet to
  discover if this is a CE problem or just the Python CE
  implementation of the socket module.  Do other Win32
  programs have this problem?

I'll be busy with other work for a while, but if anyone
wants further information please send me email.  If
no other purpose is served, perhaps this post can help
disprove the notion that Zope is necessarily a heavyweight
application.

Regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.