[Zope] - backing up Data.bbb

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:02:42 -0500

Simon Michael wrote:

> >     Following a corrupted Data.bbb disaster I want to automate the
> > backing up of my Data.bbb.  My question is - do I need to shut down
> > zope before copying Data.bbb to ensure that it is closed properly?
>
> I'm interested in this too. It's happened to me several times on windows. I
> don't know if I did something bad to cause it.

I'm thinking that this may be happening because we don't lock the file
on windows.  We probably should.

> A related question - I have imported 179 files totalling 50Mb into the
> zbase. My find function takes about 10 seconds to list them all, on a sparc
> 10.

By "my find function" do you mean using the find tab or do you mean
something that you have written yourself?  I'm a bit surprised that this
would take so long, although I can't say I've tried an application like the
one you mentioned.

What sort of search were you doing?

> Would this be considered a large database ?

No.

> I do want this to scale up.

You may want to consider some alternatate data structures, depending on
your application.

> It makes me wonder if I need "ExternalFile" and "ExternalFolder" objects,
> which would keep the file contents in the filesystem ? Zbase vs. filesystem
> has been discussed a bit already, I know.

Do you have reason to think that this would make things faster?

> One more product idea on my mind: "Method" or "TinyMethod" - a external
> method without the file. Just edit in place, like a Document. Is this a good
> or bad idea, I wonder ?

From a development point of view, it is a good idea.  From
a security point of view, it is a bit scary.

You would need to extend the machinery in DocumentTemplate.VSEval
to handle full-fledged code, as opposed to just expressions.

This would not be a small undertaking, I think.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.