[Zope] - Slashdot on Zope

Gabe Wachob gwachob@findlaw.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:53:16 -0800

Paul Everitt wrote:

> Gabe wrote:
> > I wanted to ask the list what people's thoughts were on the
> > appropriateness of implementing a Slashdot-like site in Zope.
>
> Your email this weekend finally prompted me to make the decision on
> Tabula and to announce our intentions on doing a Zope-Slashdot.
>
> Here are my plans with this regard:
>
> 1) Create a mailing list for "Zopespot", the name of the community
> project that coordinates this.

Zopespot is the community or the "this" ?

> 2) When Ken gets here, make him the shepherd for the project.

Sorry for being a relative newcomer to zope, but who is Ken, and where is
here (Zopesport, this email list, where you are physically)?

> 4) Turn the zope.org site into a legitimate contender for best
> portal/community site on the Internet.  We intend to invest pretty
> heavily in making the Zopespot software and the content on zope.org a
> shining example.

Great!!! Any timeline on this?  Will the zopespot software be opensource,
gnuish (or at least zope-licenish)?

> With the Tabula software available for the Zopespot project, I think
> you'll be pretty impressed.  I loaded a 23 Mb portion of the Internet
> movie database into a Tabula on my P166 laptop with 64 Mb running NT.
> Search times for a combination fielded/full-text search came back in
> under a second.

Do you have a URL on Tabula? I've seen it mentioend several times, but I
have not had the time to go look it up, and I can't get through to egroups
(I promised myself I wouldn't say anything negative about them in public...
).

> > until the Medusa integration is complete (not that throwing together a
> > slashdot clone can be done before digicool folks can get that done).
>
> I'm a BIG fan of organizing the requirements before marching off on such
> an ambitious project.

Hey, I'm with ya there. Unfortunately, I have certain needs (ie to get
something up on a web site) that can't wait too long. Right now, my other
option is setting up a RDBMS (sybase, perhaps) and getting that slashdot
perl code working better -- far from my first choice.

I'm more than willing to help out on this Zopespot project! I'd be even
more motivated if I could get something out of it soon ;-)

    -Gabe