[Zope] - Slashdot on Zope

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:20:23 -0500

Gabe wrote:
> Zopespot is the community or the "this" ?

Zopespot is my working name for a "Slashdot" project name.

> > 2) When Ken gets here, make him the shepherd for the project.
>
> Sorry for being a relative newcomer to zope, but who is Ken,
> and where is
> here (Zopesport, this email list, where you are physically)?

Ken Manheimer's current job is part of the Python team at CNRI.
Specifically, he runs the python.org website and the community efforts
such as the SIGs, as well as being a leader of the Mailman development
effort.

> Great!!! Any timeline on this?  Will the zopespot software be
> opensource,
> gnuish (or at least zope-licenish)?

At this point I'll just say that we aren't ruling out making its license
Zope-ish.

> Do you have a URL on Tabula? I've seen it mentioend several
> times, but I
> have not had the time to go look it up, and I can't get
> through to egroups
> (I promised myself I wouldn't say anything negative about
> them in public...

I don't and I'm quite sorry about it.  The docs are essentially done but
they won't get online this week.  It's hard, we are all pretty freaking
busy around here right now :^(

> Hey, I'm with ya there. Unfortunately, I have certain needs (ie to get
> something up on a web site) that can't wait too long. Right
> now, my other
> option is setting up a RDBMS (sybase, perhaps) and getting
> that slashdot
> perl code working better -- far from my first choice.

The easiest way to influence our prioritization of things is through
consulting contracts or other arrangements that allow us to rearrange
projects.

> I'm more than willing to help out on this Zopespot project!
> I'd be even
> more motivated if I could get something out of it soon ;-)

Hey, I'm with ya on that one, brother!  I'm itching to get my sketches
of the new zope.org site online.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909