[Zope] - PCGI with IIS 4.0

Hannu Krosing hannu@trust.ee
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:20:38 +0200

Jeff Bauer wrote:

> Hannu,
>
> Have you seen my starship notes?  You need to specify
> PYTHONUNBUFFERED mode.  This can be done globally
> in an Apache conf file or even in the pcgi info file.
>
>   http://starship.skyport.net/crew/jbauer/apachenotes/
>
> -Jeff

Thanks,

This fixed the problem on my test machine (P200MMX, WinNT 40, running
IIS 4.0),
but unfortunately not on the machine my client wants to run the server
on (P90,  WinNT 4.0, IIS 4.0, but also MS Proxy Server 2.0).

I have not tested if It could be the proxy server, as I have not yet
properly set it up on my home computer.

some more facts:

1. On my clients computer the switch to Apache 1.3.3 does not make
   any difference, so I guess it is a pcgi/Bobo problem

2. I use the pcgi info file to set PYTHONUNBUFFERED=1
   BTW, does PYTHONUNBUFFERED affect also pcgi-publisher.exe ?

3. I once got an uncomplete response on my home machine as well, it
was the first time I accessed the page after startup, i.e. the
request that started the Bobo server.
So it just _may_ be that it is a performance related issue.
Just speculating, but it may happen to other people as well,
and they just don't notice, because:
  a) it does not happen on very short files
  b) it is usually hard to detect if the end of file is missing

I see it each time because the end of file contains a JavaScript
function that is invoked using onLoad() and thus each time it is
missing IE4.0 shows an alert (in addition to not running the function)

Hannu