[Zope] - Newbie Question About Sessions

Kevin Dangoor kid@ans.net
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:40:23 -0500

I've thought about this sort of problem before as well. One thing you
could do is use Zope for handling permissions.

Barring that, you could either create a hidden form variable or a
cookie that is something like this:
(MD5 Hash)+UserName+Permission+OtherVariable

The MD5 hash would be computed based on:
<secret password>+UserName+Permission+OtherVariable

Then, when a request comes in, you can just recompute the MD5 hash
and make sure that it matches the one the user sent. If they changed
any of the information, the hash wouldn't match. (And the user can't
just recompute the hash, because they don't have the secret password).

Is this the kind of thing you're thinking of? The data *is* going to
the user, but they can't modify it.

Kevin

,-----

`-----