[Zope] - Re: XML-RPC

skip@calendar.com (Skip Montanaro) skip@calendar.com (Skip Montanaro)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:46:43 -0500

    Jim> I think that XML-RPC would almost certainly be a cool thing to
    Jim> support in Zope, and Zope would be a cool server for XML RPC.  IMO,
    Jim> the right way to do it would be to add support for it to
    Jim> ZPublisher.

Yes, and Dave Winer would like to see Zope support XML-RPC.  I could add it
easily to the module I'm currently publishing.  I'll see what I can come up
with.  It's perhaps not what Jim had in mind, but should be easily
incorporated into other peoples' servers.

    Jim> XML-RPC (http://www.scripting.com/frontier5/xml/code/rpc.html) uses
    Jim> POST requests with content type "text/xml".  (Does anyone but me
    Jim> think that this content type is a bit too broad?)

I suspect on the surface it might be.  I'm no whiz with HTTP, but XML-RPC
requests are supposed to POST to /RPC2:

    POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.0

I think that should serve to distinguish between different uses of text/xml,
yes?  I noticed with my sample server (the stuff Fredrik Lundh sent me) I am
seeing all of

    POST /RPC2 HTTP/1.0
    POST / HTTP/1.0
    GET / HTTP/1.0

I'm not inspecting the PATH component at the moment, so the first two both
work.  The second should get a 404 error since my server only handles
XML-RPC requests.  The third bombs correctly with a 501 error (method not
implemented).

Skip Montanaro	   | Mojam: "Uniting the World of Music" http://www.mojam.com/
skip@calendar.com  | Musi-Cal: http://concerts.calendar.com/
518-372-5583