[Zope] - Website recommendation

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:33:01 -0500

Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> Between your message and Paul's, it sounds like you guys really are on
> top of this. That's great! I must agree, as well, that things can
> certainly be better than CPAN. Is there some place that I can read more
> about Trove? I'm curious about the types of things that are covered
> by that spec.

Kevin,

You can get the Trove spec from the Trove site:

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/trove/

This spec is way out of date, but a great place to start.  Specificly
the cgi scripts will be replaced by a Zope interface, and the
database stuff will be replaced by BoboPOS.  Really the only
thing we're keeping from Trove is the philosophy and terminology,
from there we can be quite creative.

The Trove-Dev list can also be a good thing to browse over,
but the very last message was in November.   The very last
*useful* message was in September.

Some notes on my original implimentation:

I made a Zope Folder product which contained a tree breakdown
of TroveFolders and TroveItems.  These were basicly extended OSF.Folder
and OSF.SimpleItem objects.  The visual interface was very Yahoo
like in that it could be searched or browsed catagoricaly.

If you look at the original Trove code, however, there was much more
complexity.  There are Person objects, Resource objects, Package (collection

of Resources) objects, and even Relation objects to tie all these together.
I'm assuming much of that meta-structure will be replaced by Zope's
internal object structure and management.  I'm assuming the original
complexity was due to the idea of stuffing all this into an SQL database.

Web objects are SO ideal for this whole project.  It seems the
original Trove spec breezes over this, it's a bit suprising that none
of the original authors thought of Bobo, but at the time it wasn't nearly
as proven technology as was just an ORB, now it's a whole system.