[Zope] - Extending SQLtest

David White davew@ed.ray.com
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:36:26 -0500

Would it be possible to 'extend' the SQLtest class to be able to
dynamically
generate more things than just 'in' and '='?  I'd like to be able to put
the following
in int type textboxes:

'1-10'
will generate the SQL fragment:

(column BETWEEN 1 AND 10).

'1,3,5-12,17-28,34,37,39'
will generate the SQL fragment:

((column IN (1,3,5,34,37,39)) OR (column BETWEEN 5 AND 12) OR (column
BETWEEN 17 AND 28))

'> 34'
will generate the SQL fragment (note: all numeric comparisons should be
available (>,<,>=,<=,!=, etc):

(column > 34)

In text type textboxes id like to be able to put the following:

'Z%'

and have it generate:

(column LIKE 'Z%')

And finally in date type textboxes I'd like to be able to specify a list
or range of dates
(similar to the int type above) with the exception that to specify a
date range you wouldn't
be able to use the '-' character.  You could use something like 'to'
like this:

'01-JAN-1999 to 01-MAR-1999'

Note that none of these should be very difficult to implement.  I
actually have a web based database
app (connecting to Oracle and written in Perl) which does all of this
(and more).  All my queries are
dynamically generated using the above rules.  I've become VERY
interested in Zope as of late and
am trying to push for our Apps to be more Product centric and Zope seems
heaven-sent, so hence
my interest in porting some/all of our apps to Zope Products.  Getting
everyone else to see that vision
is another matter...

My question is whether this would be a generally useful addition to
SQLtest or if it should be
created as an Extension Module?

Dave

David R. White          Raytheon Electronic Systems
Process Support                      (508) 440-2087
528 Boston Post Rd.
Sudbury, MA 01776
davew@ed.ray.com