[Zope] - Re: Apache problems

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:07:17 -0500

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>
> > I just tried this. Here's what I see:
> > REDIRECT_HTTP_CGI_AUTHORIZATION:
>
> Hmm... I don't know where that REDIRECT_ is coming from, but
> ZPublisher won't like it.  Here is the slice of code from ZPublisher.Publish
> (lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py:line 151)

> <snip>

> This is not graceful, but should work.  I'll plow through the Apache
> code to see if there is rhyme or reason here.

The light has been shed.

According to the Apache docs, using a RewriteRule in a .htaccess
file causes *two* accesses, the first is started by the browser:
Apache does the URL to file translation and 'walks' down the filesystem
till it finds your directory.  Then it sees the .htaccess file and reads it.
The it goes 'hey, there's a rewrite rule in here!'  This causes Apache
to rewrite the original URL, and then *resubmit* an internal request
to itself causing the whole walkdown to happen again.  When it does this
it prepends 'REDIRECT_' to your environment variables presumably
to let you know that this redirection has happened and/or not to conflict
with the original variables.

So take it for what it's worth.  I'll discuss with the folks here what should
be done about it, but the ZPublisher.Publish patch I sent before should fix it
for you, for now.

-Michel