[Zope] - Name clashes (PIL vs Zope)...

Andy Smith andy@verticality.com
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:01:42 -0500

Hi All,

I'm writing a new Product which uses the Python Imaging Library to
dynamically generate GIFs. I'm dying to see if it can be done by using
StringIO's to store the image data so that no actual files will need to be
written, but I've come across a snag... PIL and Zope both make use of the
module names 'Image.py' and 'ImageFile.py'. I guess great minds do indeed
think alike ;)

My first instinct was to use sed to churn through the whole of PIL renaming
all references to Image and ImageFile to pilImage and pilImageFile
respectively. I'm wondering if there's a more elegant way of doing it?
What's 'unzenlike' with this solution is that every time PIL or Zope gets
updated, the whole process will have to be done again.

Before I go delving in, does anyone know if creating a PIL 'package' could
easily fix this, or is this going to be even more work than simply renaming
the offending modules?

Cheers,

Andy.