[Zope] - Docs: Printed vs Screen: Techniques

David Wagle David.A.Wagle@HealthPartners.Com
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:56:40 -0600 (CST)

> ***Ok, so how do you do it?
>
> What word processor and native format do you
> use?  Is it based in HTML and converted to
> PDF and Postscript?

[*snip*]

> Ok so we want to move this process to the
> web ...reports that look great both on the
> web and on paper SO.....

ONE way, and in my oppinion the BEST way is to simply break from the
bad habit of considering authoring and pge-markup as a single
process. Write your documents for content in a good editor (Emacs for
me :) and then do the markup with a structured markup language such
as Lout or LaTeX.

> ***What are the best tools Today?

from my point of view, the single best tool set for making on-line
documents that look great on paper is Emacs+LaTeX+LaTeX2HTML. Your
documents are stored in ASCII format, so you don't have to worry
about some vendor changing formats on you.

> ****Are there tools that take a user query and
> make it fancy both for the screen and for paper?
>
> For example,  can the PDF format be created
> automatically on the fly?  ... Always print
> an intro page then print the results of a
> data query.  Made available as a link
> for download/view on a Zope page?

There are LaTeX to PDF filters out there that will do this.

> *----
> Also related:  I currently have a number of
> WordPerfect DOS files to convert to HTML
> Again, the best - easiest tools to use.

I believe that WP7.0 has an option to publish to HTML, but I'm not
certain -- I discovered Emacs shortly after WP5.x :)

- -daw

A computer system without Microsoft products is
like a dog without bricks chained to its head.