[Zope] - Re: [XML-SIG] RE: [Zope] - XML-style DTML code

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:34:12 -0600

"Fred L. Drake" wrote:

>   In neither SGML nor XML can markup be nested like this.  The use of
> entities is the proper way to do this in either case.  Perhaps a
> processing tool needs to be available which can perform "entity
> expansion" for specified entity names only?

I discussed this a couple of months ago on the Zope list. I suggested that
they use XSL template syntax. It's more verbose but it separates the
levels more cleanly. The syntax for doing attributes would look something
like this:

<FONT>
   <xsl:attribute name="size">6</xsl:attribute>
   blah blah blah
</FONT>

The Zope equivalent would be:

<FONT>
   <zope:attribute name="size">6</zope:attribute>
   blah blah blah
</FONT>

IMHO, the current Zope syntax cannot survive into the "XML age." People
will want to author their templates in XML editors and Zope's illegal
syntax will prevent this.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Don't you know that the smart bombs are so clever, they only kill
bad people."
	- http://www.boingo.com/lyrics/WarAgain.html