[Zope] - Re: Name clashes (PIL vs Zope)...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:29:21 +0100

Christopher G. Petrilli wrote:
>Actually, I think one thing that would help (no offense /F) is that
>everyone should put their code in packages

Oh, that's perfectly fine for new stuff (especially if you don't
have to support older Python versions).  But in PIL's case, it's
simply too expensive to change this at this time.

Luckily, the package semantics makes it pretty straight-forward
to move an existing library into a package without changing any-
thing in the library.  It's a little bit tricker with PIL, since it scans
the python path looking for file codecs.  To be on the safe side,
Zope users should make sure to explicitly import the necessary
codecs.  The following note provides some more info on this:

http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/notes/note03.htm

Cheers /F
fredrik@pythonware.com
http://www.pythonware.com