[Zope] RE: Thread subjects

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 03:03:20 +0200

They forecast "three weeks" until the beta will be available.

The alpha is already apparently quite stable, this despite the fact that
I have not yet gotten the alpha working on our Linux box yet. :-/  I
strongly believe it has something to do with our setup rather than Zope
itself, but it's hard to tell.

Zope does not really change any functionality as much as it brings new
stuff. And even on that point the two biggest changes are:

- a better object database system, with support for multiple database
backends (such as Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle) and concurrency
(meaning several people can view a page exactly simultaneously; this may
surprise you, but that isn't possible in earlier releases!).
- support for classes (which is already in the 1.11.0 preview release
I'm working with; a let me tell you, that's one really stable preview
release!)

The big thing that _does_ change things comes with the Portal Toolkit,
but again this is simply about new features that we can exploit but --
until it does arrive -- have to implement ourselves. Mostly this
involves memberships. And we can certainly implement all that without
ZPT for the beta, I think.

Does this help?

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go