[Zope] Zope database format for Zope 2.0

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:41:34 -0400

Hi all.

We've been working out whether or not the final release of
Zope 2.0 should try to support the older .bbb database format
as well as the new ZODB3 format. There are a number of technical,
backward-compatibility, documentation and support problems associated
with trying to support the old format, so I am leaning toward deciding
that the 2.0 final release will only use ZODB3 format, and that:

  a) users with current dbs can run a simple command
     line tool to create a converted ZODB3 file from
     your existing Data.bbb

or

  b) we could possibly provide some kind of startup logic
     in Zope2.0 that would automagically convert your
     existing .bbb file to a ZODB3 .fs file, if all it
     was able to find is an old-format file at startup.

Before making a final decision though, I wanted to throw this out
to the community for comment, to make sure that there are not problems
with this approach that we haven't considered...

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909