[Zope] Zope, performance and multithreading (beginner questions)

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:16:12 +0200

Well, you can have a "true multi-threaded database server" without
supporting transactions -- of course, it might be all this and still not
be efficient. ;-)

But if properly designed, with minimalistic thread locking (no "global
spinlocks"!), a multithreaded RDBMS can be fairly efficient even without
support transactions. However, a good transaction design would not just
make it faster, it could be simpler to coordinate -- especially if data
integrity is a goal -- within the database kernel, too. Of course,
transaction design isn't necessarily simple -- all sorts of interesting
problems with transaction isolation, dirty read support and so forth.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"What the hell, he thought, you're only young once, and threw