[Zope] Zope, performance and multithreading (beginner questions)

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 12:33:58 -0500

Rob Page wrote:

>> The MySQL solution to doing transactions is to instead do
>> table locking.
>
> <SNIP GOOD MySQL Info>
>
> Andy:
>
> Wow!  Thanks a million for the detailed info!  We'll take this new scoop
> into account for the MySQL decision/effort.

Rob,

Another useful MySQL feature is a user lock.  I use this to
protect object-wrapped table data.

  GET_LOCK(String, timeout)
  RELEASE_LOCK(String)

Obviously, your applications must cooperate within such a
scheme and you're responsible to defining the object lock
namespace, but it works pretty well for me.  Example
application:  ticket dispenser, dispensing monotonically
increasing ticket numbers.

Regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.