[Zope] OSES project - should it run under Zope?

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:11:29 +0200

Hi all,

I was off this list for the last half year or so, so I'm in for some catching
up :-). In the meantime, a couple of quick questions:

I'm starting up a new project, Open Source Educational Software (www.oses.org
for more details). Basically, I want to get people from various disciplines
(teachers, pedagogues, graphics artists, programmers) together to work on
classroom-software. The site must be highly collaborative, and friendly to
non-technical users. Software will be mostly written in Java, so it can run on
any box with a browser.

Q1: is Zope the best environment to do this on? On the collaboration part,
Zope's user features are great, and Confera is ok as well, but other things
are lacking (chat, public file repositories, interfaces to CVS maybe, talkback
areas at the bottom of most pages, etcetera).

Q2: call me crazy, but I think that WikiWikiWeb is a great collaboration tool
(http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki). There is a Python version, but I'd like to have
this running inside Zope so you can apply Zope's management features to it. I
talked to the author, he's interested, but maybe this alread has been done?

Q3: if the answer on Q1 is "yes", are there any Zope gurus out there who want
to help me on structuring the site, maybe writing some of the utilities that
are missing? One of the reasons for picking Zope is that I'm considering
making the add-ons for collaboration available as part of the project, so that
schools can run Zope (Zope fits the OSES requirements for platform
independence, that's a very big benefit).

Q4: (this should be an easy one - maybe I've missed a FAQ somewhere?) What's
the easiest way to have "last modified ... by ..." on the bottom of each page?

Thanks in advance,

Cees
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>