[Zope] any streaming audio formats that Zope can serve?

Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:33:02 +1000

>>> Martin Dougiamas wrote
> > Are there any "streaming" type audio formats that don't require a special
> > server? Then Zope could just deliver this to ZServer (or Apache) and let it
> > stream the data to the end system.

> MP3 streams very well.  eg http://www.icecast.org  and  http://www.shoutcast.com
> And there are free versions of decoders and encoders.  http://freshmeat.net

Played a bit with this - mp3 is expensive to encode, and also isn't all
that great for compression for the data I have. The data I have is 12 bit
6kHz sound samples, and it's necessary to convert it to a much higher
resolution format to use it with MP3.

> Realaudio also streams pretty well over http.

I need to be able to convert data on the fly - unless things have changed,
the realaudio sound format converters are expensive, and just not very good.

Current plan is to play with using the Quicktime4Linux library to stream
the data. I'll post more when I have had more of a play.

(For those that are interested: the application in question is to allow
a user to browse a voice message box, and select voice messages to play.
It currently delivers a .wav file (generated by an external method) and
the browser downloads it before playing...

Anthony