[Zope] Zope and Apache vs ZAP? Which server to use?

Kam Cheung zope@littlecircle.com
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:52:17 +0000

> Anyway, which server should I use?
>
> I'm guessing the Zope Server is not what I want.
>
> What's the difference between Zope+Apache and ZAP? Which do you recommend I
> use?

Philip,

Nice to see you here. I am a Frontier user also!!

Your timing is perfect, since I just started using Zope as well. I installed
Zope last weekend. My suggestion to you is, if you really want to learn
Zope, try using it with your own Apache. To me, it turned out to be the most
difficult part of the whole process. And, according to messages in the
archive of this list, many people were having problem with this as well (you
might be the lucky one, though).

However, definitely download Zap, you should be able to learn how to
configure your Apache by looking at Zap's conf file.

What version of Linux are you running? If you are running RedHat Linux 6,
and is using its bundled Apache 1.3.6, I can give you my conf file. That
should help you get started.

BTW, it takes me a while to get used to how Zope handles templates. It's
quite different than Frontier. The way how Frontier handles inherited
templates, pageheader, and pagefooter is definitely more advanced than how
Zope does it (as far as I know, if I am wrong, someone please correct me and
I am more than happy to know how to do it).

Kam On Cheung