[Zope] Requirement for 2.0

Anthony Pfrunder s341625@student.uq.edu.au
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:24:51 +1000 (GMT+1000)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 interrante@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> However, I would like to state that for the user base to expand
> significantly 2.0 needs to be very easy to install on a hosted website
> (http://www.hiway.com/) .  This is where most of the new sites are
> coming from (check out the information from www.netcraft.com)  People
> with hosted accounts have apache and cgi and want a trivial way to set
> up and get content online (Frontpage does a good job here).  Please
> consider this a *massive* potential audience for this tool and build
> simple configuration scripts, yada, yada, that make this a trivial
> task.  Comments?

I agree!  My "vision" for Zope is cross-platform "plug 'n 'play" binaries
which can snap into place and work.  This also means a universal make /
build system and distrib generator (self-installing binaires for Windows,
tgz+sh scripts for unix).  It also means an _easy_ way to compile /
install extensions such as the PiL.  Finally, it means reverse-engineering
Office 2000's web extensions and putting them into Zope!

Cheers,

Anthony Pfrunder