[Zope] really really refresh again

Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:33:33 +1000

>>> Robin Becker wrote
> I started the stupid refresh question last month. Now I'm trying to use
> the Poll product as a starter/learner. I cannot get the images to
> refresh properly.
[..]
> This gif refresh problem must happen to others. Any ideas?

a) Find a baseball bat. Drive a couple of nails through the end.
b) Now visit Netscape and Microsoft's browser development team, and
ask them (using results from a), above) politely to actually look at
the expires header for images.

Alternately, hit shift-reload, or make sure you refer to the image as
something like image.gif?timestamp=<curtime> in your page.

Both the major browsers are incredibly stupid, and will cache images
in a way that could best be described as "naughty".

(On a related note - setting 'Pragma: no-cache' in a server _should_
have no effect. It's a client-set thing, to stop caches serving a
cached copy).

Anthony, in a hostile mood towards browser authors (see next post from me).