[Zope] ODBC DA for unix coming?

Hannu Krosing hannu@trust.ee
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:17:46 +0300

Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> There are three levels really to ODBC:
>
>     1. The "ODBC adapter" (such as mxODBC, etc)
>     2. The manager (such as iODBC)
>     3. The database driver (such as Oracle, etc.)
>
> At least this has been my understanding I've been operating under.  I just
> looked at iODBC, and I don't see anything in it to let it talk to say,
> Microsoft SQL Server (an ODBC only database, unless you know that it's
> really only Sybase underneath :-).

Your current solution would probably be to go to
http://www.openlink.co.uk
and get their multi-tier odbc drivers with db-independent communication
layer
and use that for connecting to most known databases.

The GPL-ed iODBC is just a driver manager.

>  How would I do this?

The freeTDS is planning to implement a free ODBC driver for MSSQL,
currently
they have just the lower protocol levels.

See http://metalab.unc.edu/freetds/ .

There also seem to exist ODBC drivers for MySQL and ADABAS (according to
http://www.applix.com/appware/linux/index.htm).

Hannu