[Zope] ODBC DA for unix coming?

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:44:42 +0200

Don't confuse this will conformance levels, though, which is the meaning
most common used for word "level" in respect to ODBC. ODBC defines three
levels of API conformance (different features supported): Core, Level 1
and Level 2. Transaction support and asynchronous execution of
functions, for example, are required of a level 1-conformant driver.

>I just
>looked at iODBC, and I don't see anything in it to let it talk to say,
>Microsoft SQL Server (an ODBC only database, unless you know that it's
>really only Sybase underneath :-).  How would I do this?

You would use a driver that supports the TDS protocol (which what the
FreeTDS project tries to emulate) used by Sybase and Microsoft. Since MS
6.5 and Sybase was essentially the same product until version 4.2, they
share much of the same innards, and you should be able to use a Sybase
ODBC driver with MS, and vice versa.

It may be the only known case of cross-platform product interopability
in Microsoft's history. ;-)

SQL Server is not an ODBC-only database. Its native API used to be the
DB-Library. This API has been partly deprecated by MSSQL 7.0 -- if you
want any of the new features of 7.0, you're forced to use any of the
newer APIs such as ODBC, OLE DB, ADO (ActiveX Database Objects), or RDO
(Remote Data Objects; a VB thing).

http://www.digicool.com

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go